In-House vs. Outsourced IT Management
When it comes to improving your IT infrastructure, the decision between hiring in-house vs. outsourced IT management to a managed service provider (MSP) can be a daunting task. But why settle for just one option when you can have the best of both worlds with a co-managed or hybrid plan?
For many companies, regardless of their size, co-managed services offer an ideal solution. This approach allows you to leverage your in-house IT team for certain tasks while entrusting others to an MSP. With a comprehensive MSP contract in place, you can ensure that your IT needs are covered 24/7/365, leaving you never short-handed.
MSPs are dedicated to tailoring their services to meet the unique requirements of your business, constantly adapting to find the most effective combinations. Before delving into the benefits of co-managed services, let’s briefly review the other two types of IT support.
In-House IT Staff
Having an in-house IT team can provide you with immediate technical advice and support. However, it’s essential to consider the factors involved in maintaining such a team. Ask yourself the following questions:
- Do I possess the necessary expertise to hire a qualified IT professional?
- Am I equipped to manage and guide this individual in their role as our IT expert?
- Will one person suffice for all our IT needs, or do we require a diverse range of IT talents?
- How much will this cost me in the long run? Note: the average salary range for one IT professional is about $60,000 in 2022, according to PayScale.com
Once you’ve addressed these questions, you or someone from your staff will need to advertise the job, review resumes, conduct interviews and negotiate the terms of employment.
But in the meantime, what happens to that employee’s regular responsibilities?
Moreover, once you have your in-house team established, who takes over their duties when they go on vacation or fall ill? In the event of a malware attack in the middle of the night, whom do you call for immediate assistance?
The cost of an in-house IT team will depend on the number of staff members required and their level of experience. Assessing these factors is crucial before making a decision.
Understanding the Average IT Needs of Companies
|Employees||Junior Tech||Senior Tech|
|21 – 50||0||1|
|51 – 200||1 – 2||1 – 2|
Outsourced IT Management
Managed service providers (MSPs) like SkyTerra offer customized IT coverage 24/7/365, precisely tailored to meet your unique business requirements. Unlike in-house teams, MSPs have the advantage of a larger workforce with specialized expertise in various areas such as cybersecurity, IT infrastructure, and cloud maintenance.
This collective knowledge and support team provide you with the capability to address IT issues promptly and effectively at any time, day or night.
Unlike traditional break-fix IT outsourcing, MSPs earn a fixed monthly fee regardless of the number of support issues they resolve. This incentivizes them to proactively keep your network running smoothly, setting them apart from other IT outsourcing options.
By partnering with an MSP, you eliminate concerns about IT salaries, benefits, coverage, attrition, recruiting, retention and management.
For most small to medium-sized businesses, engaging a managed service provider proves to be a more cost-effective solution than assembling an in-house IT support team. The benefits of outsourcing your IT services to a reputable MSP include:
- Better value for your money.
- Comprehensive coverage 24/7/365, avoiding burnout.
- Access to a diverse range of expertise and experience.
- Leveraging best-in-class tools and processes.
- Seamless scalability to accommodate fluctuating user counts, whether it’s during periods of growth or contraction.
- Incentives for maximum efficiency.
The Co-Managed or Hybrid Solution
With co-managed IT support, you can retain your internal IT team while augmenting it with outsourced IT support. This approach offers significant advantages for larger companies.
First, co-managed support allows you to enjoy the major benefits of an in-house IT team, like having technicians physically present during business hours (excluding sick/vacation time) and possessing an intimate understanding of your business operations.
On top of that, you can leverage the advantages of an MSP at a fraction of the cost required to establish an in-house team. You have the flexibility to determine the level of supplemental IT support you need from the MSP and the specific areas where you require their expertise.
Here are a few examples of how co-managed IT support can be implemented:
- Your in-house IT team manages day-to-day IT maintenance and user support, while relying on the MSP for highly specialized components like cybersecurity.
- The MSP acts as an outsourced CTO or CIO, assisting you with strategic planning, IT infrastructure design and tool selection, while your internal team executes those plans and manages the systems.
- The MSP provides essential support during after-hours, vacation periods and times of turnover, ensuring continuity in IT operations while you recruit, hire and train new IT personnel.
In-House vs. Outsourced IT Management: Making Your Choice
Every business is unique, and at SkyTerra, we understand that. Whether you’re considering a fully outsourced solution or a co-managed approach, our services are customized to meet your specific business needs and goals.
We are here to help you unlock the full potential of your IT management solutions. Contact us or book a meeting today to learn more about how we can assist you in reaching your IT objectives.